Girls in Tech Presents: Global Classroom, Teaching the World How to Code
The Girls in Tech(GiT) Global Classroom Program aims to educate and engage girls and women around the world in STEM careers. The gender imbalance in technological career paths is stark and the first step in changing that is to educate more girls around the world. The 2017 Global Classroom Program will encompass a technical 8-week course (April 10 – June 2) complete with training material, mentors, assignments, and opportunities for discussion. This is a FREE of cost course made available to members who enroll using the application link below. We will be accommodating a maximum of 350 students for the inaugural program on a first come first serve basis.
WHO: Anyone who wants to participate.
WHAT: The program will teach participants how to make a website with WordPress.
By the end of this course, you will be able to
• Set up a selfhosted WordPress site
• Design the landing page for a website, based on the purpose of the website and its targeted audience
• Based on the design and purpose, choose a WordPress theme from a respected developer and install and customize the theme
• Based on the purpose, decide on the core plugins to add the needed functionality to your website and configure those plugins
• Explain the basics of UX, run basic user tests, and improve your website based on the gathered insights
• Decide on what the next step for your personal growth is in terms of web development and the appropriate resources to help you with that growth
WHEN: April 10th 2017 to June 2nd 2017
Applications Open: Monday, February 6th 2017
Applications Close: Monday, March 20th 2017
Program begins: Monday, April 10th 2017
Program ends: Friday, June 2nd 2017
WHERE: Girls in Tech’s 60 chapters around the globe, spanning 36 countries and 6 continents: South America, North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia & Oceana.
REQUIREMENTS: Participant have access to a computer with a web browser and internet connection for the duration of the program.